Jürgen Schwarz, Partner and Head of M&A Consumer Business in Germany, has been awarded the Deal Maker of the Year Award 2016 for advising Outfitter Group on their sale to Karstadt owner Signa Retail/René Benko.
Jürgen joined Capitalmind Investec as a partner in August 2016. With his extensive experience as founding entrepreneur and M&A advisor in the retail sector he is supporting Capitalmind Investec’s consistent pan-European sector approach in the consumer industry.
Jürgen Schwarz acted as M&A sell-side advisor for the Outfitter founder/shareholder on the sale of the Outfitter Group to the Karstadt shareholder Signa Retail/René Benko.
SIGNA Retail has taken the next important step towards becoming an integrated retail business. In a move designed to unlock even stronger online growth potential, in April 2016 the company acquired a majority interest in OUTFITTER, the leading multi-channel retailer in sports business. SIGNA Retail has taken a 60% stake in OUTFITTER – the remaining 40% are retained by Ron Berger. The OUTFITTER’s founder and former sole shareholder will remain a major shareholder and will also continue to operationally head the company together with the co-general manager Thorsten Bichowski.
OUTFITTER’s strong online presence and the excellent position in Germany’s bricks-and-mortar retail segment of SIGNA Retail’s subsidiary Karstadt sports, create an outstanding basis for a strategic partnership. The companies’ expert management teams and young, energetic employees with a passion for sports will be instrumental in capitalising on the strengths of each business and the synergies between them.
Jürgen on his thoughts and predictions for 2017 and beyond:
« In order to achieve sustainable future success the online and bricks-and-mortar business need to be seamlessly integrated. With the acquisition of OUTFITTER, SIGNA Retail can quickly realize this goal in the sports goods business. Additionally, SIGNA Retail gains further strengths in the growth segment sports as well as strong competence in logistics and processes for its online business. »