Investec and Capitalmind are delighted to announce that they have entered into a strategic transaction which will see Investec acquire a strategic majority stake in Capitalmind, to become a leading provider of M&A advisory in Europe.
Investec Bank plc and Capitalmind Group have entered into a transaction which will see Investec increasing its shareholding in Capitalmind, one of Continental Europe’s leading independent mergers & acquisitions and corporate finance advisory firms, to approximately 60%, with Capitalmind’s Partners retaining the remaining 40%. Following completion of the transaction, Capitalmind will initially trade as “Capitalmind Investec”, led by board of Investec and Capitalmind Executives.
Important benefits of the transaction include the following:
- Allows Investec and Capitalmind to fully integrate their M&A and corporate finance teams under one common umbrella;
- Creates an M&A Group that provides clients with access to the major developed markets of Europe, USA as well as important emerging markets in Asia and Africa;
- Preserves Capitalmind’s agile and entrepreneurial culture, with its senior practitioners continuing to lead the day-to-day client activity and transaction execution, and
- Enhances the opportunity to leverage a broader array of investment banking products in Europe.
Following the transaction, the respective advisory teams will become more closely integrated, sharing knowledge, expertise and client coverage.
The two firms’ advisory operations are characterised by strong geographic complementarity: The Investec Group has advisory teams based in the UK, India, and South Africa, while Capitalmind complements Investec’s advisory business across most of Western Europe, particularly in Benelux, France, Germany, Nordics and Switzerland. Jointly, Investec and Capitalmind have had an exclusive partnership in the USA since 2020 with Regions Securities LLC (and subsidiaries BlackArch and Clearsight).
Investec’s sector focus with respect to advisory largely mirror those of Capitalmind. These include, inter alia, business services, consumer, financial services, food & agriculture, healthcare, industrials, technology and TMT. In addition, both Capitalmind and Investec have very active private equity sponsor coverage practices.
In total, over the 24 months to 31 March 2023, Capitalmind and Investec together have advised international clients in Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, and USA on over 230 transactions across the above-mentioned sectors, with an aggregate transaction value of over €25 billion, thereof European clients on 150 transactions, with an aggregate transaction value of over €12 billion. A significant part of these transactions was cross-border in nature. Together, Capitalmind and Investec have approx. 130 advisory practitioners based in Europe.
« We are delighted to be joining the Investec Group. The mid-market investment banking business has become ever more deeply international, and M&A advisory businesses therefore need to be increasingly globally integrated, and sector focused in order to develop and maintain a deep understanding of their clients’ businesses and needs, which in turn requires these teams to collaborate seamlessly under one strategy.» said Ervin Schellenberg, Michel Degryck and Jan Willem Jonkman, Managing Partners of Capitalmind.
Click here to download our press release for more information.