About the deal
Gebr. J.& M. Ziegler GmbH (“Ziegler”) had been part of Hawesko Holding Ag (“Hawesko”) for more than twenty years, as the only producing entity in the group.
Founded in 1865, Ziegler is one of the best-known German producers of premium fruit brandies. It looks back on decades of heritage of true craftsmanship and stands for highest, standard setting product quality. The product portfolio is complemented by other premium spirits such as whisky, rum and gin. Ziegler products are distributed via the B2B- (food retail, gastronomy and hotels) and B2C-channel.
With the decision to sell and Carve out Ziegler, Hawesko highlights its strategy to focus on the B2B and B2C trading business. Hawesko will continue to exclusively provide sales & distribution services to Ziegler under new ownership.
The seller and the buyer agreed to keep the deal parameters and the identity of the buyer confidential.
The transaction underlines Capitalmind Investec’s expertise in marketing and selling heritage brands in the Food & Beverage sector and the ability to execute complex Carve outs in a challenging market environment.
What we did
Capitalmind Investec advised Hawesko Holding AG on the sale and Carve out of premium distillery Gebr. Ziegler including
- Mapping out the process strategy and preparation of all marketing documents
- Approach and education of domestic and international potential buyers
- Preparation and coordination of due diligence process including data room and Q&A
- Advice on Carve out related topics, e.g. terms of a sale & distribution service agreement
- Advice on transaction structure & financing
- Negotiation support of commercial deal parameters and Share Purchase Agreement
Raimund Hackenberger, CFO Hawesko Holding AG: “The sale of the group’s only production entity highlights our strategy to focus on B2B and B2C trading. Due to Capitalmind Investec’s deep sector know-how and excellent structuring & management of the process and negotiations we were able to conclude a remarkable transaction in a challenging market environment. It has been a pleasure working together with the Capitalmind Investec team.”